We are making masks!
In light of the current virus crisis, We are building masks to provide some level of protection to those that need it.
These masks are not to be used where a proper, certified, tested, mask is available. This mask is offered as a "Home Made Mask". Some tests have been performed, but this mask must be considered as "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK". We can not guarantee that this mask will save you or others from getting COVID-19 or any other disease, virus, or sickness.
This design is based from the Montana Mask, www.makethemasks.com. We have made some changes to their original design, and have incorporated some others from fellow makers, which have been adopted as "Version 2" of the Montana Mask by the original inventors.
Changing / Installing filter Material:
This mask is made of two plastic pieces. The center square of the mask is press fit into the body of the mask, allowing for the filter material to be captured tightly between the two pieces.
- With the mask in your hands, push the square center piece evenly from the outside world side of the mask to the face side of the mask. The center square should slide out toward the face and "pop" out of place.
- Place the new filter material so that it covers the hole in the mask evenly.
- Replace the center section piece, pressing evenly until it no longer moves.
- Ensure that the filter material is covering the entire opening of the mask
- Wash your hands, wash the mask
- The mask is intended for use as a surgical mask—anywhere a surgical mask would otherwise be used
- If the mask is to be used in a setting where an n95 mask would be used, it must be appropriately fit-tested and the correct filter material must be used
- Wash hands frequently, especially prior to touching/adjusting and donning/doffing your mask
- The mask can be sanitized with sani-wipes, bleach wipes, or in the CDC recommended bleach solution (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/cleaning-disinfection.html). We encourage you to cleanse your mask frequently
- Wash your hands! (Hand washing may turn out to be more preventative than anything else we do, including the use of facemasks)
- When installing the filter; the smooth side should be toward your face, the loose / coarse side toward the outside world
- visit www.makethemasks.com for more information.
We can size this mask to fit many different faces. We have found that two basic sizes, Large and Medium, seem to cover most faces without much modification. To decide which size might fit you best you can take a straight line measurement from the bridge of your nose to the bottom of your chin, with your mouth closed.
- 4.5 inches or less, we recommend a Medium mask.
- 4.5 to 4.75 inches, we recommend a Medium Large mask.
- 4.75 to 5.125 inches we recommend a Large mask.
- 5.125 to 5.5 inches we recommend a Extra Large mask
- Greater than 5.5 inches we recommend a XXL mask.